Armed Forces Families Fund: Research Grants programme
This programme will award grants of up to £60,000 for research projects that explore particular challenges faced by Armed Forces families.
Under this programme, the Armed Forces Covenant Fund Trust will fund high quality research which helps develop an understanding of the key challenges that Armed Forces families can face, particularly in relation to educational attainment for Service pupils, child welfare and the welfare needs of Service families.
To be eligible for this funding, you must be either:
- A UK-based university
- A registered charity
Under this programme, we cannot support:
- Private limited companies
A full list of eligibility is available in the programme guidance below.
Grants of up to £60,000 over for projects delivered over 18 months.
Themes and priorities
We are looking for projects that will contribute to the wider understanding of complex educational or welfare issues affecting Armed Forces families, and propose solutions.
This is a targeted and strategic programme that aims to develop a stronger understanding of the specific needs and challenges faced by Armed Forces families. Applications must address at least one of these 6 key challenges:
- The impact of Service life for children with SEND/ASN/ALN
- The impact of separation of Service personnel from children in their key early years development.
- Whether Service children achieve the highest GCSE grades at a comparable rate to their civilian counterparts.
- What are the key educational risks and benefits associated with transitions between education systems for Service children?
- What evidence is there that Foreign & Commonwealth Service families are overrepresented in statutory social care services and single Service welfare provision.
- How do Forces families currently receive information from Defence, including what are their preferences?
There is more information in the programme guidance document below.
Deadlines and dates to note
This programme is now closed. The deadline for applications was 9am on Friday 6 October 2023.
We expect to be able to let you know the outcome of your application before the end of November 2023.
Guidance and resources
We encourage you to take a look at the application questions before beginning your online application to the Armed Forces Families Fund: Research Grants programme.
Please note, this is for reference only and applications can only be made via our online application portal.
Armed Forces Families Fund: Research Grants programme application questions (for reference only before filling using the application portal).Download 93.7 KB
Ready to apply?
Now you have read the guidance you can apply through our online application form which you can access through this link.Apply now
Subscribe to the Armed Forces Families newsletter
Get the latest news, opportunities and updates relating to the Armed Forces Families FundSubscribe